Wednesday 27 March 2013

Under-trained but over-rested

I remember listening to the podcast IM Talk with Bevan and John in the build-up to Kona and a coach of elite athletes was interviewed, I forget who now.  He said how his athletes may arrive on the big island under-trained, but they were over-rested.  A much better state to be in than over-trained and under-rested.  An experienced marathon runner (two marathons and a half in one month recently!!) sent an email with the Runner’s World tip of the day.  It was good timing and it took a little pressure off me.  So I went out on my bike for an hour instead.  I’ll run tomorrow...

I actually think being a more balanced person makes a healthier, happier, and thus faster person. The question I try and ask myself when I consider whether or not to train more is what is my body craving and what is my body ready to absorb? Sometimes pushing harder is not the answer. It takes self control, confidence, and intuition to know when to train and when to rest, but when in question error on the side of being over rested.  Ryan Hall

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment - I would like to check it before it is posted. Bo.